The Cleveland Clinic mentions these risk factors for the holiday blues and provides tips for coping with holiday depression:
- Connecting the holidays with family problems or painful memories.
- Expecting that you should feel happy.
- Dealing with the loss of a loved one, or spending the holidays away from friends and family.
- Developing unrealistic expectations, or thinking about negatives that have occurred during the past year.
- Dealing with changes in the family, such as divorce or death.
- Drinking too much alcohol during the holidays.
Visit Mental Health America to find more about the causes of holiday depression.
For more information regarding depression see the Depression Hurts post.
Wishing you a healthy and happy holiday season.
posted by – Susan, Health Reference Services