Ok, so someone in the building has just been diagnosed with conjunctivitis and everyone is in a panic. Why? Conjunctivitis can easily spread from person to person, but it’s important to note that it is easily treated.
According to the Cleveland Clinic:
What are the symptoms of conjunctivitis?
- Redness in the white of the eye or inner eyelid
- Greater amount of tears
- Thick yellow discharge that crusts over the eyelashes, especially after sleep (in conjunctivitis caused by bacteria)
- Other discharge from your eye (green or white)
- Itchy eyes (especially in conjunctivitis caused by allergies)
- Burning eyes (especially in conjunctivitis caused by chemicals and irritants)
- Blurred vision
- Increased sensitivity to light
If you have any of these symptoms it is important that you see your ophthalmologist or family doctor.
For more information about conjunctivitis visit these websites.
Information written for teens from TeensHealth (Nemours)
Information for parents from KidsHealth (Nemours)
Information for kids from KidsHealth (Nemours)
And from my go to site – MedlinePlus
Have a wonderful and safe day, and remember it’s officially Spring. Now if only the weather would cooperate!
posted by – Susan, Health Reference