Syosset Public Library
225 South Oyster Bay Road
Syosset, NY 11791-5897
Contact a Health Reference Librarian
516-921-7161 ext. 217
DisclaimerThe purpose of the Syosset Public Library’s Health Reference Center is to provide public access to a wide range of health and medical information, not to give medical advice or interpretation. The Syosset Public Library does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider any information received from the Syosset Public Library as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare providers. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. Information received from the Syosset Public Library is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified healthcare provider. Please note that these services are being provided by librarians and NOT medical doctors.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Longer Prescriptions Make Opioid Abuse More Likely: StudyDoctors should prescribe for the minimum numbers of days, researchers saySource: HealthDayRelated MedlinePlus Pages: Opioid Abuse and Addiction
- Could Common Vitamin Supplements Raise Lung Cancer Risk?Increased odds only seemed to affect men or male smokers, study suggestsSource: HealthDayRelated MedlinePlus Pages: B Vitamins, Dietary Supplements, Lung Cancer
- Longer Prescriptions Make Opioid Abuse More Likely: Study
- Fair Oaks Farms, LLC Recalls Pork Sausage Patties Due to Possible Listeria ContaminationFair Oaks Farms, LLC, a Pleasant Prairie, Wis. establishment, is recalling approximately 1,134 pounds of pork sausage patties that may be adulterated with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Seven Sundays LLC. Recalls Vanilla Cherry Pecan Muesli Because of Possible Health RiskSeven Sundays LLC of Minneapolis, MN is recalling their Vanilla Cherry Pecan Muesli 12 oz. pouches because it may contain undeclared almonds. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to almonds run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products.
- Fair Oaks Farms, LLC Recalls Pork Sausage Patties Due to Possible Listeria Contamination
Category Archives: Health Reference
According to the National Library of Medicine Parkinson’s disease (PD) is a type of movement disorder. It happens when nerve cells in the brain don’t produce enough of a brain chemical called dopamine. Sometimes it is genetic, but most cases do … Continue reading
Many patrons come in to the library not knowing where to search for information or they’ve begun their search and have gotten confused with the amount of health websites available. Others have gotten advice from a friends or family that … Continue reading
My main goal as a Health Reference Librarian is to provide information for my patrons so that they can better advocate for themselves in regard to their health. I provide patrons with consumer friendly information from respected and reputable sources, so that … Continue reading
The Health Reference Department presents: Heart Health Friday, February 15 11 AM Dr. David Friedman, Director of Heart Failure Services at Plainview Hospital, will discuss the warning signs and the steps that you can take today to have a healthy … Continue reading
There are no shortcuts on the path to a healthy heart, but there are steps that can be taken each day to guide you along the way. The CDC has put together “28 Days to a Healthier Heart.” Easy steps to … Continue reading
We are all bombarded with advertisements and conflicting news reports regarding vitamins. If you’re like me I’m left wondering – Do I need to take a daily vitamin? What brand is the best? What do I risk by not taking … Continue reading